Thursday, November 6, 2008

O-bam-a, O-bam-a, O-bam-a

I cannot get that song out of my head!! Have you heard it?
The Will-i-am one? Here's the link...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjXyqcx-mYY

I'm not such a huge fan of propaganda usually, but I liked it.

So who's pumped that Obama won? I have to say I am glad! It's not even that I don't have my doubts. This country is so down right now it's naive to think that one man can change that in 4 or even 8 years. And I think I feel like in politics its really more of a choice between the lesser of two evils. I mean really...who in their right mind wants all that responsibility? I guess that's just the lazy, fearful side of me. I guess I should be glad people do want that kind of responsibility. I'm just real glad McCain and Palin won't be in the White House. For as little as I know, I know I don't want someone who is so similar to Bush. It's time for a different party in office. Even though Barak Obama has little experience, I feel, like many people, like maybe that's what we need right now. It's not like he's not an intelligent man. So though I have my fears, I'm anxious for change. I think they are the fears we should all have at this point no matter who was elected.

I've been thinking lately about the abortion issue and it's deeply ingrained importance in Christianity. Let's face it; a lot of Christians vote republican simply on that issue alone. I just don't feel like the issue is that important. Not to say that life isn't important, but I'm just questioning when that became a major political point? There will always be abortion - even if it is illegal. People will find a way.

The other big thing I've been thinking about is the question of "when does life start?" According to the view many Christians take is at conception. But then that includes aspects of invitro fertilization doesn't it? I'm not gonna lie - I don't know the biology behind it, but there is a process that would be abortion according to the conception definition. If, God forbid, I can't get pregnant that would be heartbreaking to me. I don't know if I could not do whatever I could to get pregnant even if it was technically abortion if I defined it that way. Growing up in a Christian home abortion has always been one of those black and white issues. Now I'm realizing how grey it can be. It's really hard for me to think of babies with fingernails and heart beats being aborted. There's a part of me that feels like too often abortions acts as an easy out. I fully believe that people should take responsibility for their actions. You know when you're having sex babies happen. Especially because there are many people who can't have babies that would gladly adopt. But what about when that child will be born at the cost of the mother's life? I guess I just have conflicting opinions. It may just be one of those things that I'll never really know which way to lean...

1 comment:

jj said...

I'm a firm believer in South Park's reaction to the whole election. Hardcore Obama people will party too hard for the "change" they expect and Hardcore McCain people will freak out as if it's the apocalypse. Both will later find that, no, not much will change and, no, the world isn't gonna end.

That said, I voted for Obama. We'll see what happens. I do know he picked a tough time to choose to lead this country.

As to the topic of abortion, I too am against it, but I don't think that should be the main focus of choosing a president. Though the subject matter may be less serious, it is like choosing a president over what age the drinking age should be. Kids under the age are gonna do it anyway if they want and find the means to. *shrug*

Cute puppies, by the way. My mom wants em. :)